Monica's memoir

The Story:

It was brought to my attention a few months ago that my biological grandmother, along with her six siblings, had written their memoirs some years back. As I recall, my sister Amy told me that during our first meeting down in Florida. She had helped our grandmother edit and revise the document, as well. Apparently, they all wanted to document the family history so that future generations could appreciate the family’s origins.

Recently, one of my great aunts, Maureen, asked if I would be interested in having a copy of my grandmother’s memoir. I jumped at the chance! I wanted to know as much as possible about my biological heritage. Subsequently, my great aunt Joan mailed me a copy of the document a short time later.

Upon receiving Joan’s package, I began sifting through its contents. There was a hand written letter from Joan, a copy of each sibling’s tribute to my grandmother’s life, and the 50-page memoir. I read Joan’s letter immediately. Her words to me were very kind and comforting. Until recently, though, I had chosen not to read the memoir.

Her story read like a movie. It was absolutely incredible. The story’s timeline begins with her birth in Dublin, Ireland, and ends during her teenage years around London, post WWII. She, along with her siblings, didn’t have it easy during that time while living in England. Her life throughout that period seemed to have set the stage for how she would be as an adult. She helped to care for six kids and her parents, at times. Not to mention that she survived multiple near death experiences as a youngster.

Ultimately, my grandmother’s story is a crucial part of my family history. Perhaps, her story is only important to those of us in her family, but her life speaks of a very different time of which we younger generations have little knowledge.

The Emotions:

I’m so thankful that my grandmother had enough appreciation of our family history to write her story. I wonder how long it would have taken me to learn all of the same information had she not taken the time to write? I’ve realized how special it is to have access to such a document. Especially, since she is no longer alive.

I’m excited to hopefully read the memoirs of my great aunts and uncle, as well. I harbor some disappointment, though, since I know very little about the history of my adoptive and step families. I suppose it’s primarily my fault. I don’t think that I’ve asked. However, there are very few memories of anyone else in my family asking either. I suppose I have a lot of work ahead in learning about each line of my family history.

A side note, I feel very uncomfortable divulging the juicy details of my grandmother’s memoir. Placing them on the web for all to read seems inappropriate. However, I will be more than happy to make them public knowledge once a movie director has paid my great aunts a huge sum of money for the rights!  Until then, though, I don’t feel that it’s my place to disclose such personal information.

The Advice:

This time it’s short and sweet. One thing that I’ve learned is that my family history is critical to my understanding of how I got here. I’m quite certain that I will attempt to further document my life and family history at some point in the future. I think everyone ought to do the same. The process will certainly be time consuming, but the final product will be a story rich with experience and wisdom. The future generations of our families need to know these touching tales.

- Andrew

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Twitter! Follow me on Twitter!
receive bonus adoption story updates